Wednesday, February 29, 2012

GOSPEL NUGGET # 67

Lu 18:14 "I tell you that this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for every one who exalts himself shall be humbled; but he who humbles himself shall be exalted."

Notice the last part: "he who humbles himself shall be exalted."


What is humility? Humility is seeing yourself as you really are in the eyes of God, nothing more, nothing less and nothing else!


In God's eyes, we are all sinners, helpless and hopeless in ourselves to save ourselves, in dire need of God' mercy and salvation. A humble person realizes this and acknowledges it.


He does not, in pride, try to make something of himself, like attempting to save himself with his good character, religious achievements and ascetic sacrifices. No, it would be a denial of who he is in the eyes of God---a sinner who is helpless and hopeless to save himself.


Rather, a spiritually humbled person, throws himself in the mercy of God expressed in the Cross of Calvary when the Savior died for him. He says: "O, God have mercy on me, the sinner! I could not do anything to save myself. I am so deep in sin. If ever I should be saved, it is only because of Your mercy and grace. And so, I will take the dependent's place and rely on Christ's work on the cross for my salvation."


And it is this sinner---humbled by conviction of sin---that God will exalt in salvation.