Monday, February 20, 2012

GOSPEL NUGGET # 51

Mt 27:21 The governor answered and said to them, "Which of the two do you want me to release to you?" They said, "Barabbas!"

Mt 27:26 Then he released Barabbas to them; and when he had scourged Jesus, he delivered Him to be crucified.

Barabbas is the only man in the history of the world who can say: "Christ died for me literally and physically."

The cross of Calvary which should have been his fell on Christ, his literal and physical substitute. He should have been scourged and spit upon but Christ took it all for him. He should have carried that burdensome Roman cross but Christ carried it for him. He was condemned to die but Christ took his condemnation. He was guilty but Christ took his guilt. He should have died but Christ died for him.

 Supposing Barabbas bargained with his executioners saying: "Look, sir, I will do community service all my life, I will faithfully serve the Roman government, I will do a lot of charitable works, everything, the whole nine yards, just pretty please let me live. Spare my life."

They would tell him: "Barabbas, you don't have to do all those things. Somebody took your place and HE IS ENOUGH!"

Many want to save themselves by baptism, church membership, sacrificial works, and what have you. They do not know that Christ is enough.

My friend, what Christ did on the cross was enough for your salvation. Trust in Him.