Sunday, March 4, 2012

GOSPEL NUGGET # 78


Ps 69:4 Those who hate me without a cause Are more than the hairs of my head; They are mighty who would destroy me, Being my enemies wrongfully; Though I have stolen nothing, I still must restore it

This is nothing less than a picture of the experience of Christ when He was persecuted, made to suffer and then put to death on the cross. Notice:

"Those who hate me without a cause..."

The Jews hated Christ without reasonable cause. Even Pilate the governor could not find anything against Christ that He should be put to death but they all clamored to have him crucified (see Mat 27:23). Even Judas confessed that he "betrayed innocent blood" (see Mat. 27:4)

"Those who hate me without a cause Are more than the hairs of my head..."

"...the chief priests and elders persuaded the multitudes that they should ask for Barabbas and destroy Jesus." (Matt. 27:20) There were so many that hated Him. Practically, it was the entire nation that hated Him. From its religious leaders down to the common Jew.

"They are mighty who would destroy me, Being my enemies wrongfully"

Mighty people, people in high positions sought to kill Him. Men like Herod, the chief priests and the elders conspired to kill Him. They could not find anything against Him, so they brought in false witnesses (see Mat. 26:59-60). He was their Friend and King but they went against Him. They were His enemies wrongfully.

"Though I have stolen nothing, I still must restore it"

He did not owe anything. He did not make any moral debt against God. He did no sin. But still He died and paid for it...for you and me.