Sunday, May 18, 2014

GOSPEL NUGGET #349

Operation Naburos Island 

It is a virgin island off Misamis Occidental, verdant with lush greeneries. Shaped like a pregnant woman lying on her back, the local folks came to call it Naburos Island or Pregnant Island.

After trekking a few rough Misamis Occidental miles, our vehicle had to stop. Standing over a humble wharf, there loomed before me Naburos Island. Excitement and apprehension were horsing around inside my heart.

Excited at the prospect of being in a virgin island for the first time, I was also apprehensive because of the intimidating sea that we had to cross over. Julius Caesar once said: "I came. I saw. I conquered." Hey, not me! I came. I saw, but I cowered a little bit inside. I prayed. My swimming abilities left me years ago, when I contracted an ailment.

The only means to convey us to the island was through a small pump boat. I had to entrust myself to it. It proved itself reliable when it docked us safely to the island.

That gave me a wonderful illustration of salvation. If the island represents God in heaven, then the boat represents the Lord Jesus Christ. We sinners are powerless in ourselves to save ourselves. We can never bring ourselves to God.

We need the Savior. He died for our sins and rose again from the dead. Now, any sinner who entrusts himself to the Lord Jesus Christ and what He did on the cross will be saved and will be brought safely to God.