Wednesday, July 25, 2012

GOSPEL NUGGET #141

Lu 15:12 "And the younger of them said to his father, 'Father, give me the portion of goods that falls to me.'... 
Lu 15:13 "And not many days after, the younger son gathered all together, journeyed to a far country, and there wasted his possessions with prodigal living.
Lu 15:17 "But when he came to himself, he said, 'How many of my father's hired servants have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!
18 'I will arise and go to my father, and will say to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you,
19 "and I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Make me like one of your hired servants."'

This is all our story. We are all prodigals. The root sin of it all was not his wasteful and profligate living in a far country. No, these are simply the sinful fruits of his heart condition. 

When he told his father: "Give me the portion that falls to me", his heart was already far and away from his father into "a far country"---what happened next was simply the confirmation and manifestation of it. 

The "far country" is primarily in our hearts. Wherever you may be so long as your heart is far away from God, you are in a far country.

You maybe religious outwardly, you may sing praises to Him, you may attend church services but if your heart is far away from God, you are in a far country. 

"These people draw near to Me with their mouth, And honor Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me." Mt 15:8

You maybe a charitable person, you may have given generously to your friends and other people (as surely as the prodigal did because prodigals often do kind things to fellow prodigals. Kind to others. Rebels against their own fathers) but if your heart is far away from God, you are still in a far country. 

Come to your senses, humble yourself before God, rise and go to God in repentance and throw yourself in His mercy in Christ Jesus when He died on the cross for you, come to God by trusting in Christ for the forgiveness of your sins and come home from the far country.