Friday, July 6, 2012

GOSPEL NUGGET #136

The Two Kinds Of Righteousness

Php 3:9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;

There are two kinds of righteousness mentioned in this verse one is called "My Own Righteousness" and the other is called "The Righteousness Which Is From God".

"My Own Righteousness" is wrought by self-effort. It is "from the law". In other words, it is the result of obeying the Law or the Ten Commandments. The Law demands perfect obedience. But since no one could perfectly obey the Law, our righteousness wrought from the Law is therefore "filthy rags" (see Isa. 64:6). It is marred and tainted with sin.

In order for me to be accepted by God, I therefore need another another kind of righteousness---a righteousness that is acceptable to God. And this righteousness must come from God Himself! 

Enter "The Righteousness Which Is From God". This righteousness does not come from my own efforts. Rather it comes and it is received "through faith in Christ." The very moment I put my trust in Christ, God imputes or deposits this righteousness to my spiritual bank account. 

Now, God looks upon me as righteous not because of me and what I did. But solely because of the righteousness that God imputes to me through faith in Christ. 

Friend, you can't be accepted by God and be with Him when you die by your own righteousness. You need the righteousness which comes from God. And you can receive it right now if you put your trust in what Christ did on the cross for your salvation.