Thursday, August 22, 2013

GOSPEL NUGGET #273

Ec 3:15 ....God requires an account of what is past.

Let's apply the principle to salvation. There are many people today who are banking on their reformed life for God to accept them.

They believe that turning over a new leaf or turning a new chapter in one's life is the way to salvation. That God can just let the past slide and close His eyes on the sinful things they have done.

What do you think would happen if all those who loaned money from a bank would go by this principle? Let's say you loaned millions of dollars from a bank. Foolishly, instead of spending it wisely, you wasted it away by a corrupt and debauched lifestyle.

Then after living wildly, you go to the bank and say to the manager: "I know that I have been living like an animal the past few months. I spent all the money like there is no tomorrow. But you know what? I decided to turn a new chapter in my life. I decided to forget the past and now I am living a reformed life. Can we forget the past? Can we forget about the money I owe you?"

Reformation has only to do with bettering the present and the future. It can never alter what we did in the past. And God requires an account of what is past. The sins we did in the past must be paid.

My friend, don't put your trust or hope in your reformed life for salvation. Besides, our reformed life is never perfect. It is blotched with inconsistencies. Repent, yes, but realize that your only hope of salvation is in the Savior and what He did on the cross. The payment He provided on the cross reached the past.

Trust in Him and what He did, not in your reformed life.